Winter is here and it is here to stay. Temperatures got as low as 10 degrees last night in Hampton Roads. Abbitt Realty and Abbitt Management held a collection in all offices to raise money for 150 blankets for the less fortunate to keep warm in this rough weather. Hopefully, Hampton Roads has a mild winter this year but it is still important to be prepared for bad winter conditions so here are some tips.
- Unhook your garden hoses and drain them.
- Place insulating foam covers on outside faucets.
- Cover or close foundation vents.
- Insulate exposed pipes with foam pipe insulation.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks.
- Drip hot and cold sinks in your kitchen and baths.
- After it warms up watch your water meter to check for unseen leaks.
- Inspect your furnace before cold weather arrives and make sure your thermostat works properly.
- Inspect your fireplaces and chimneys and have them cleaned if need be.
- Make sure you have plenty of dry wood or coal if you use a woodstove or fireplace.
- Unless a window is in direct sunlight keep drapes and blinds closed.
- If you heat with propane or fuel oil make sure your tank is full.
Protecting the outside your home:
- Clean out gutters and downspouts before it gets cold to keep ice from forming in them.
- Make sure to have rock salt for your steps and walks if ice or snow covers them. But be careful because it can harm your grass.
- Ice and snow can damage your roof so make sure you pay close attention to any possible damage caused by either.
From your friends at Abbitt Realty, stay warm this winter and as always please be mindful of those in need and lend a hand when possible.